Rhys is 15 months old, but if I need to speak of goldfish, mashed potatoes, and/or yogurt, I'm required to spell all of these. Our spelling abilities and the speed by which we can spell and decipher are increasing monumentally.
1. GOLDFISH. Even if he's just eaten and his stomach is bloated to the size of a basketball, he'll go digging in my purse and find the ziploc bag containing those precious little golden nuggets. He comes toddling over with the bag in his hand and that expectant look on his face. It's impossible to say no to that face!
2. YOGURT. This delectable item causes him to bounce on his little bottom in his high chair while making odd little squeaks and chirps and stretching out his arm as if to reach me and the refrigerator where the treasure is stored. He can always tell when we are near the end of the container by the way that I'm scraping and clawing trying to get every last bite out. He'll start to turn away and literally try to climb out of his highchair as if to delay that last bite. Maybe if he doesn't eat the last bite or denies its existence it will continue indefinitely. Alas, no.
3. MASHED POTATOES. These take the cake. The child goes gaga for these carbs. I'll admit, he does get it somewhat honestly - a meal is not complete to me unless I have a big ol' heaping pile of buttery mashed potatoes. (And I do make some darn good ones, I may add.) Anyway, goldfish cause smiles and demands, yogurt causes bouncing, chirping, and stretching, mashed potatoes literally cause hyperventilating. His whole body starts wiggling and he will not remove his eyes from the bowl. We are not at all allowed to even consider taking a bite of our own food whilst the "precious" is available for his consumption. Now he knows the process involved in making the potatoes. Once he saw me peeling potatoes this evening, we were done for. We tried to distract him with the rest of his dinner because once those potatoes arrive, he ain't gonna eat anything else. We were not very successful and I couldn't get them made fast enough. It really is quite cute and funny to see how much he loves them and even though I joke about not getting to eat my dinner (although, seriously, I don't), we get a pretty big kick out of it.
Now the child just needs to learn some self-control. He gorges on a feast of potatoes until he can no longer hold them and he finally starts gagging.

2 comments:
Very cute! Oh Rhys, you and Ilan would get into so much trouble together.
I admit I was thinking he got the mashed potato thing honestly. I can remember you trying to do your best with those awful VC baked potatoes!
And how funny that we both have used the term "the precious" in our houses lately.
Post a Comment